Church resists ns dictatorship

church resists ns dictatorship


In the city parish of herzogenaurach, city pastor franz rathgeber tried to maintain church life as far as possible in the third year of the war in 1941, although two of his chaplains were drafted into the armed forces. Since 1939 germany was in a state of war. On 22. June 1941, in addition, the hostilities with the soviet union began.

One of the chaplains, johann ebl, was drafted in march 1941 and opened on 10. August 1941 injured in the leg by a shell splinter. He escaped amputation by a hair's breadth and was taken to the scharley reserve hospital in upper silesia. Chaplain eduard krenner was ordained on 1. May 1941 drafted. He joined the motorists in bamberg.

The feast of sebastiani on 20. January saw the old traditional participation, there were 1800 communicants. The morning and afternoon sermon was preached by the dominican provincial and former cathedral preacher of st. Peter's. Hedwig in berlin, pater dr. Marianus cousin OP.

Although the feast of corpus christi had been moved to a sunday by the authorities, there was no rest on corpus christi saturday, 12. June 1941, in catholic areas in the countryside the work almost completely. According to the reports of the government presidents, the participation in the procession on the following sunday was stronger than ever before.

Sisters house confiscated

Since 1918, the sisters of maria-ward had been working in herzogenaurach in the school service and in the kindergarten . They lived in the former kurr-villa in the street to the airport. By order of the county council of 17. June 1941, the house of the english fraulein, zum flughafen 12, was confiscated with all the rooms and the whole inventory. The NSV-kreisleitung in grafenberg wanted to accommodate families from areas endangered by the air war.

This order overrode paragraph 5 of the reichsleistungsgesetz, according to which the occupant retained the necessary space for himself and his business. It has been confirmed by the lawyers dr. Hermann orth and dr. Weibgerber, nurnberg, and by the archdiocesan legal advisor dr. Angermeier, complaint filed with the government. This remained without answer. The english women only gave way to violence, noted pastor franz rathgeber in his chronicle. The confiscation, which hovered over the sisters like a sword of damocles, was not lifted until 1942, as the lawyers were able to report in a letter.

With a further order of 1. July 1941 the english women were forbidden to give private lessons on top of that. In the complaint against it they wrote: "the erlab of 17.VI. [1941] threatened us with homelessness, the present one with breadlessness. We seem to be the target of special hard."

The national socialists also had their eye on the children's home in edergasse. On 21. October 1941 pastor rathgeber was summoned to the town hall by the district administrator. Present were the deputy district administrator max krebs and the district section leader johannes wachsmuth.

Both demanded that the children's home in the edergasse be handed over to the national socialist people's welfare organization (NSV). Because it was not tenable that two kindergartens existed in herzogenaurach. Rathgeber was able to point out, however, that the NSV kindergarten only took care of elementary school children with professional mothers, while the kindergarten on edergasse took in preschool children. On the indication that in hochstadt city pastor dr. Joseph gorres had closed the kindergarten of the parish, rathgeber replied that, to his knowledge, it had been closed and confiscated on the orders of the district administrator.

According to the government president's report of 8 september, a charge was brought against pastor gorres and sister maria dolbatsch. August 1941, they filed a complaint, since they had been given the "hygienic reason" to keep the had reopened closed denominational kindergarten. However, due to lack of evidence, the proceedings had to be discontinued by order of the district court of bamberg of 22. August 1941 be discontinued.

Parish priest refuses approval

In response to the threat that the kindergarten in herzogenaurach could be closed without giving reasons, rathgeber replied: "with my consent, however, nothing will be changed in the existing kindergarten. I can do nothing against the violence." As rathgeber steadfastly refused, the negotiations were broken off. "The pastor expects his arrest", rathgeber noted in the parish chronicle.

The faithful of the herzogenaurach parish made annual pilgrimages to gobweinstein, dettelbach and veitsbronn. These pilgrimages were no longer allowed by the landrat in 1941 because "the traffic situation of the reichsbahn and the work situation did not permit it"…But the people shall not be deprived of their old customs", the district administrator added. Since rathgeber was on vacation, curatus georg jung announced the ban, but omitted the last half-sentence of the district administrator's order. The district administrator sent a gendarme to the verhor . Jung received a warning from the secret state police , as it was not enough to punish him.

On 14. September 1941 a cross celebration took place at the order of the archbishop's ordinariate in bamberg, which met with a lively response. In view of the imminent danger of bombing, the company fritz vikari in nurnberg impregnated the wood of the roof trusses in the parish church, the chaplaincy, the parish house and the mesner's house with intravan to make them non-flammable. The costs amounted to 3710 reichsmark. The christmas crib was set up in the crypt of the marienkapelle instead of in the church during advent this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.